Author Topic: 10 Techniques for Better Fast Playing  (Read 2616 times)

Offline joshuamaccluermusic

• Quarta Tromba
  • Reputazione dell'utente: +0/-0
10 Techniques for Better Fast Playing
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »
Many musicians and especially trumpet players spend a great deal of effort trying to play faster, higher, and louder. Personally I believe it’s a much better idea to try to play better.

However, occasionally to appease the trumpet gods we must work on high, fast and loud. There is in my experience a big difference in the results of different techniques of preparation of quick technical passages, so today I present 10 Techniques for Better Fast Playing, along with a video of The Carnival of Venice.

The most important principle is easy and very simple. To prepare to play quickly, practice slowly.

Yes, I know, you say you practice slowly already. And I believe that you think you practice slowly. I for years thought I was practicing slowly. Then I finally learned to practice slowly for real and saw the enormous effectiveness of true slow practice. It works, but only with enormous patience. Playing somewhat slowly a few times is not enough; many reps at extremely slow speed are required. The rule is that the more times you play something very well very slowly the better you will play it quickly.

A full discussion with 10 actionable principles we can start with today at http://joshuamaccluer.com/10-techniques-for-better-fast-playing/

Offline Enzo Antonio D Avanzo

• Acutista
  • Reputazione dell'utente: +89/-0
  • OTTIMISMO, SALE della VITA
Re:10 Techniques for Better Fast Playing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:57:10 PM »
Benvenuto fra noi, e chi si aspettava una presenza così importante. ovazion

Welcome among us, and those who expected a presence so important. ovazion
- TROMBE Bb - TAYLOR 15th An.CHICAGO 46 II Custom shop,TAYLOR Chicago VR Custom, CAROLBRASS 5060H-GSS, 5060L-YSS-SS, YAMAHA Xeno
- TROMBE C-KING Super 20,
- CORNETTA Bb TAYLOR ORPHEUS, Olds Ambassador, Conn Director
- FLICORNO CAROLBRASS CFL-7200-GSS-Bb "legendary",
- MELLOFONO Bach Mercedes, TROMBONE Mahillon pistoni, B&S a Coulisse, BARITONO B M Symphonic
"Il bebop non ha senso, non si capisce il tema" L.Armstrong

Offline anrapa

• Administrator
  • Acutista
  • Reputazione dell'utente: +210/-3
    • AR Resonance Website
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »
Hello Joshua, welcome to the forum, I've read about your Charlier challenge and found it VERY interesting, I'm studying and "competing" myself with another guy here in the forum and we benefited greatly by comparing each one's goods and bads.
Will you publish the missing recordings on your website?
AR Resonance

Trombe e Bocchini AR Resonance
Tornio a mano nel retro della carrozzeria di mio fratello
Bulini del Penny Market
Pulimentatrice dello sfasciacarozze
Laurea in Youtube
Master in "a mano è meglio che CNC"

Offline Carlo

• Prima Tromba
  • Reputazione dell'utente: +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
Joshua,
thank you very much for the advice !

I had a very difficult (for me) music to perform, that should be played quickly.
I had been trying it for long, playing since the beginning quickly, without any success.

I followed your advice, performing it slowly for many time, and afterward gradually quickening it. 
It works !

Offline anrapa

• Administrator
  • Acutista
  • Reputazione dell'utente: +210/-3
    • AR Resonance Website
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »
Hello Josh!
I would LOVE to hear the entire recordings from the Charlier Challenge, I've "mastered" some 20 of them and now I'm struggling with the dreaded N.27.
With the help of a fellow trumpet friend (we practice together via Skype) we are getting closer and closer to a reasonable result but I need someone to compare to (other that David Baldwin...).
Would you please share your insights on the challenge and on the Charlier Etudes here?
Thanks!
AR Resonance

Trombe e Bocchini AR Resonance
Tornio a mano nel retro della carrozzeria di mio fratello
Bulini del Penny Market
Pulimentatrice dello sfasciacarozze
Laurea in Youtube
Master in "a mano è meglio che CNC"